Sunday, August 5, 2012

Best Slow Cooker Carnitas Ever!!!!

The best and easiest Mexican dinner!  One of my absolute favorites.  I love coming home from work and finding this waiting for me in the slow cooker.


You will need:

1lb pork tenderloin or chicken
1 12oz jar of salsa (use this link to make my 5 minute salsa recipe for the best results)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper, or ground red pepper if you can find it (way better than cayenne)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
3 cloves of garlic minced

I also like to use 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric when I have it because it adds nicely to the flavor and turmeric has many health benefits.  Follow this link to read some of them.

Combine all of the above ingredients.  I like to add the ingredients to a ziplock bag and then add the meat and marinate overnight.  Place the meat and marinade in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours.  Pull the pork or chicken and serve according to your liking.





To serve, I enjoy whole grain taco shells or soft taco shells, lettuce, onion, salsa, Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), tomato, low fat cheese, and a side of refried beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment